“Change your address – not your lifestyle.”
“Wonderful Wallingford” as it is known by locals, offers a delightful, friendly, home-like atmosphere in an attractive small town rural setting.
Join the popular Wallingford lifestyle and stay connected to your local community. In this relaxed and lively environment, you’ll continue enjoying your friendships, hobbies and interests, with quality, professional care and practical support on hand 24/7.
Recently refurbished, Wallingford offers large rooms with ensuites and attractive gardens enjoyed by residents all year round.
Care options meet a range of requirements of residents and their families, from independent living in rental cottages to residential rest home level and either short or long term respite care.
The Wallingford team do all we can to help residents and families experience a positive transition, welcoming family input into helping residents settle into their new home. As with all our facilities, residents from all backgrounds and cultures are warmly welcomed to share this next phase of their life with us.
Services & Facilities
Wallingford provides comprehensive services and facilities – most available to both rest home and retirement village residents* . Nearby facilities are excellent and easily accessible.
Care & Staffing
Care & Staffing
- registered nursing staff – available on site Mon-Fri 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and Saturday mornings (on call out of these hours)
- levels of care and support tailored to the needs of each resident, with caring and professional staff trained in all aspects of specialist care
- respite care – all PSSC aged care facilities offer respite care
- podiatrist, physiotherapist , dietician, Ear Health Nurse – visits to Wallingford on a regular basis
- GP visits – residents have the option of either arranging to remain under the care of their own GP, or accessing the Wallingford GP service (two local GP visit quarterly or as required)
- award winning food service (rest home) – Presbyterian Support South Canterbury (PSSC) facilities are known for their high standard of meals. Home cooked style menus are diverse, with frequently changing options. Buffet dining is a popular feature in our homes, with residents free to eat whatever, and how much, they want. Our talented Food Services team were honoured with first equal in the benchmarking innovation delivery award and runner-up in the excellence in food service at the New Zealand Aged Care Association Conference’s annual excellence awards, September 2014
- rest home rooms – large individual rooms with en-suites, residents are actively encouraged to bring personal belongings to help personalise their rooms
- associated Rest Home facilities – The Croft Home and Margaret Wilson Home
- visiting – family and friends welcome at any time of the day, at your convenience. Well mannered pets are also welcome to visit, and regularly do so.
- family areas – enjoy a special meal with visiting family, relax in one of our communal or garden areas or invite the grandkids to join in a craft activity – Wallingford, like all our facilities, is family focused and child friendly
- outings & activity programmes – active, interesting, vibrant and fun weekly programmes designed for enjoyment, social engagement and stimulation. Resident choice plays an important part in our activity programme
- pets – small pets welcome by arrangement (all of our facilities have animals living on site, including cats, dogs and birds)
- transport – Wallingford has a comfortable mini-van with hoist for use for arranged outings. A mobility scooter is also available for residents use (subject to safety assessment). For private transport arrangements, Temuka Taxis provide local service and Timaru Taxis will also service Temuka clients wishing to travel between Temuka and Timaru. Personal driver services such as Driving Miss Daisy are also available
- shopping – supermarket and central Temuka shops are located a few minutes away by car. Wallingford facilitates regular trips to shops and supermarket on demand. Popular local cafe The Teapot Inn is only 200 away – an easy walk and popular excursion for residents
- postal services – residents can post mail at the gate for collection. Incoming mail is delivered to residents daily. Additional postal services are available in the Temuka central shopping area
- hairdressing salon – our hairdresser is available for appointments at the Wallingford in-house salon every Thursday (should residents wish to continue with their existing hairdresser, the salon facilities can be made available by arrangement)
- library – Wallingford has a small onsite library and also receives a regular service from the Temuka Library – book selections provided according to resident selection
- TV – SKY in the main lounge and Freeview in other lounges. All residents’ rooms have TV connections (able to be connected to pay TV)
- telephone – connections in each room and resident cordless phones available local calls. Toll calls can be made on request, otherwise via residents personal phone accounts.
- gardens & courtyards – plenty of tranquil spaces to sit, relax, read, chat or just soak in the environment
- Volunteers – our Volunteers play an essential role in the care we provide and provide an important community link to many facets of our work. Due to our strong local links, Wallingford has as many Volunteers as staff. Volunteer roles are varied and rewarding, with new
- Volunteer enquiries always welcome
- Chaplain & Church Services – regular church services are held at Wallingford, including weekly Catholic Communion and interdenominational services by local churches. Presbyterian Support has its own Chaplain who visits Wallingford on a weeky basis, as requested and will also visit residents in hospital. Residents are encouraged to continue their religious affiliations out in the community
- Kaumatua – available by arrangement
- social worker – available as required
- language – English is spoken at all Presbyterian Support South Canterbury Homes. In some cases staff are able to converse in other languages
- banking – ANZ banking representative visits Wallingford on request
High Level of Certification
High Level of Certification
Acknowledged for its high level of care, Wallingford has achieved a high level of accreditation for rest homes in New Zealand – a three year Ministry of Health Certification period, following an independent audit by Health & Disability Auditing New Zealand (HDANZ). The audit process includes reviews of policies and procedures, observation of how services were provided to residents, surveys of and meetings with residents and families, plus interviews with rest home management.
The Eden Alternative Philosophy®
The Eden Alternative Philosophy®
Presbyterian Support South Canterbury embraces the Eden Alternative Philosophy. We positively supporting residents in many ways to actively combat loneliness, helplessness and boredom – the “Three Plagues” that account for the bulk of suffering amongst Elders.
From when to get up in the morning, whether to go on outings, which hobbies and interests to pursue or what to eat for dinner, we support all our residents in their personal choices.
The Eden guiding principles provide inspiration for residents, staff and volunteers in empowering residents to maintain their independence and make the most out daily life, regardless of where they live.
Find out more about our Eden journey.