In times of crisis, stress, hardship or illness, some families have friends and/or relatives they can turn to for help with caring for children, but others do not.
Family Works sometimes arranges temporary alternative care (for children aged 0-17 years) in another family for a planned period of time, as part of an overall plan to support a family in resolving a difficult situation.
This could be when:
- a family may be under stress
- a family may be experiencing a financial or emotional crisis
- there may be illness in the family
- parents may need additional help with managing children’s behaviour
- there may be serious differences between family members
- a child may have been harmed or is at risk of being harmed
- The decision to place a child away from home is always considered carefully and discussed with the family. Links are maintained between children and their families during the period of alternative care.