Thank you Todd Mudie Group. Sponsors of the Buddy Programme.
Buddy Mentoring Programme
The Family Works Buddy Programme matches Big and Little Buddies.
The programme contributes to the emotional and social well being of children by matching them with carefully selected and trained adult volunteers in a well-supported mentoring relationship.
- Increase children’s self esteem
- Develop social skills and help children make positive choices
- Opportunities for new social experiences and different activities
- Friendship, support, guidance and encouragement
- Fun and happiness
Big Buddies are
- Adults who are there to listen, support and encourage their Little Buddy
- People to hang out and have fun with once a week for 2-3 hours
- Adults aged 18 years and over
- Women and Men from varied backgrounds and life experiences
- Adult role models who can provide a healthy adult/child relationship
Little Buddies are
- Primary school aged children up to 12 years old
- Children whose life circumstances indicate the need for additional adult support
- Children who need extra help coping with or fitting into their home, school or community
- Referred from a variety of sources, such as social workers, public health nurses, teachers and by their own family
- Prospective Big Buddies attend an initial training course covering communication skills, how to build a friendship with a child, and family dynamics
- Acceptance into the Buddy Programme at the end of the training depends on the outcome of the a police check, references, a home visit and an interview
- Once approved, Big Buddies will be matched with a Little Buddy
- Ongoing training and supervision are provided
Contact us to find out more about Buddy Mentoring.
We Need More Big Buddies!
Being a Big Buddy is rewarding and fun and your commitment as a Big Buddy mentor could change the life of a young person. Family Works South Canterbury is looking for Big Buddies who are eager to teach and offer new experiences to a young person in our local community. Big Buddies can be men, women or couples of all ages and interests, who are happy to meet with their Little Buddies regularly to share the enjoyment of simple activities.
Big Buddies do not have to spend money on these activities and outings – low or no-cost activities that encourage positive interests, attitudes, values and behaviours, are all that are required.
Thanks to our sponsor The Todd Mudie Group we are able to provide you with things like movie tickets, swim passes, free entry to South Canterbury Rugby home games and more.
Training and ongoing support is provided.
Contact us to find out more about becoming a Big Buddy!