Thank you Todd Mudie Group. Sponsors of the Buddy Programme.
Buddy Mentoring Programme
The Family Works Buddy Programme matches Big and Little Buddies.
The programme provides support, fun and new experiences to children in need of:
- positive influence
- positive relationships
The aim of the Buddy Mentoring Programme is to offer experiences, relationships and skills which will assist the child to make positive decisions and choices in the future. Big Buddies are volunteers and are thoroughly screened, trained and provided with ongoing support. Little Buddies are primary school aged children up to 12 years.
Becoming a Buddy helps children and young people:
- achieve better outcomes at school
- make positive decisions and choices
- show improved behaviour towards others
- make a positive impact on their loved ones and their community
How it Works
- children are referred to the Buddy Programme by professionals such as teachers and social workers
- children are matched with a Big Buddy with shared interests or experiences
- men, women and couples, of all ages and interests, offer their time for a few hours a week to a child who has been carefully matched to them by our Buddy Programme Co-ordinator
- Big and Little Buddies meet weekly, spending an hour or two together enjoying quality and fun activities, and time together
(this could include activities such as biking, going for walks, crafts, baking, painting, fishing or outings such as visiting museums and attractions)
- Buddy Programme Co-ordinators work closely with the child’s family to ensure that the best interests of the child are being met
Contact us to find out more about Buddy Mentoring.
We Need More Big Buddies!
Are you able to spend one to two hours per week with a child or young person? Being a Big Buddy is rewarding and fun and your commitment as a Big Buddy mentor could change the life of a young person. Family Works South Canterbury is looking for Big Buddies who are eager to teach and offer new experiences to a young person in our local community. Big Buddies can be men, women or couples of all ages and interests, who are happy to meet with their Little Buddies regularly to share the enjoyment of simple activities.
Big Buddies do not have to spend money on these activities and outings – low or no-cost activities that encourage positive interests, attitudes, values and behaviours, are all that are required.
Training and ongoing support is provided.
Contact us to find out more about becoming a Big Buddy!